[Assessment 1101] Catalyst Questions for next week's Guest Discussion

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Fri Feb 1 11:03:20 EST 2008

Good morning, afternoon, and evening to you all. I hope this email
finds you well.
Below please find a series of catalyst questions for you to think about
and respond to with our guests in next week's discussion. They are very
interested in hearing your opinions and experiences.
Please note that Dr. Chisman and Dr. Crandall have elected to collect
your emails throughout the day, and respond to them at one time later
that day (as opposed to answering each email as it gets posted). I will
remind you all of this on Monday morning, when our discussion opens.
Thanks so much everyone - and looking forward to a lively conversation
next week!
Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator
*********************************
For full information on this discussion, go to:
http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/assessment/08passingthetorch.html
In preparation for next week's discussion on Passing the Torch:
Strategies for Innovation in Community College ESL, our guests have
posed a few questions for us to think about and respond to in order to
get our discussion started.
To review first briefly, Drs. Crandall and Chisman's research found
that: 'only a small percentage of ESL students are enrolled in programs
for as long as four semesters (the equivalent of two years or less) -
either consecutively or at any time. As a result, few ESL students
experience significant learning gains from adult education ESL programs.
Moreover, only about 10 percent of non-credit ESL students make
transitions to credit ESL, and an even smaller percentage make
transitions to college academic or vocational programs.' [p. 5,
executive summary]
The authors' research concluded that the following factors are crucial
to a successful educational experience:
* intensity of instruction
* structures and/or policies to facilitate student transition
* professional development for staff working with this population
Their research also concluded that these important factors are often
ignored, leading to the problems for ESL students described above.
Drs. Crandall and Chisman note that their research is focused on
community college, and thus, they are very interested in knowing what
this experience is like in non-community college settings. To this end,
they have posed the following questions for us:
* To what extent does your program perceive these 3 factors to be
issues?
* Are these and the other findings of their research typical at
your community college ESL program? If not, what is the experience like
at your program?
* How typical are their findings in non-community college
settings? (CBOs, LEAs, Faith-Based, Workplace, etc)
* How does your program offer instruction? (in terms of rigor and
intensity)
* How does your program facilitate transitioning students to
workforce/career preparation or higher education and other programs?
* What type of professional development is offered at your
program to help you better work with this population of ESL students?
* About what portion of your students initially enroll at lower
(beginning) levels of ESL and how many levels do most of them progress?
(Surprisingly, there is no national data on this).
* How do you deal with the issues described above in the
research, if you experience them?
Please post your answers to these questions, as well as any questions
you have for our guests.

Marie Cora
<mailto:marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com> marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
NIFL Assessment Discussion List Moderator