[Assessment 1102] Guest Discussion begins today!
Archived Content Disclaimer
This page contains archived content from a LINCS email discussion list that closed in 2012. This content is not updated as part of LINCS’ ongoing website maintenance, and hyperlinks may be broken.
Mon Feb 4 09:37:34 EST 2008
- Previous message: [Assessment 1101] Catalyst Questions for next week's Guest Discussion
- Next message: [Assessment 1103] No Questions or Comments?!
- Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]
Today begins our discussion with Dr. Crandall and Dr. Chisman on their
work examining issues with ESL student achievement at the community
Dr. Chisman and Dr. Crandall have elected to collect your emails and
respond to them at one time later in the day (as opposed to answering
each email as it gets posted).
Below are a series of questions for your response:
* To what extent does your program perceive the following 3
factors to be issues in ESL student achievement?
1. Intensity of instruction
2. Structures and/or policies to facilitate student transition
3. Professional development for staff working with this population
* Are these and the other findings of their research typical at
your community college ESL program? If not, what is the experience like
at your program?
* How typical are their findings in non-community college
settings? (CBOs, LEAs, Faith-Based, Workplace, etc)
* How does your program offer instruction? (in terms of rigor and
* How does your program facilitate transitioning students to
workforce/career preparation or higher education and other programs?
* What type of professional development is offered at your
program to help you better work with this population of ESL students?
* About what portion of your students initially enroll at lower
(beginning) levels of ESL and how many levels do most of them progress?
(Surprisingly, there is no national data on this).
* How do you deal with the issues described above in the
research, if you experience them?
Please post your answers to any of these questions, as well as any
questions you have for our guests now.
For full information on this discussion, go to:
Thanks and looking forward to this week's discussion!
Assessment Discussion List Moderator
<mailto:marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com> marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
NIFL Assessment Discussion List Moderator
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...