[Assessment 1104] {Dangerous Content?} RE: No Questions or Comments?!

Gail Burnett gburnett at sanford.org
Mon Feb 4 20:34:30 EST 2008

Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
Warning: (not named).
Warning: Please read the "AttachmentWarning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.

In our small adult education program, my experience (just about three years) is that students with solid educational backgrounds advance, particularly if they're not working too many hours. Those who advance the slowest, if at all, are immigrants who are barely literate in their first language. I would say that lack of education is a bigger factor than lack of time; a student who works full-time and is exhausted often will still succeed because he/she is familiar with academic work, and is goal-oriented. What we do is try to get our low-level students to come up with goals, but that's a hard concept in a second language.

This does not mean that the factors mentioned in the research don't play a part, though. I'm one of those barely-trained teachers (transitioned from another career, got trained mainly through workshops rather than classes). My skill level very well may contribute to students' slow advancement. It's hard for small adult education programs to get highly skilled ESL teachers. The pay is low and there are no benefits. But my program is encouraging me to get extra training and has me on a plan of improvement. I think we're making some progress.

Does this address any of the issues? And am I submitting it right?