[Assessment 1107] Re: No Questions or Comments?!

Tyskiewicz, Andy atyskiewicz at crec.org
Tue Feb 5 08:56:38 EST 2008

We have been funded for an ESL Transition to College program over the
next three years by a private foundation. There is a need in CT to
streamline services and to connect what our adult ed public school based
programs do with community colleges. We need to avoid duplication of
services and move forward with best practices. Our current program
(Regional Service Center entity) is more intensive in services 15-20
hours a week with internships and close support services - this is a
major factor in bridging the route to higher ed and referrals to the CC
ESL program. If students complete our program they usually skip a level
at the CC and avoid using some federal assistance for non-credit
courses, which is itself a controversial issue. The school districts
have free programs. PD is extensively provided in CT through a
centralized service. A next step here is further developing the linkages
with the private sector - more VESL on site - we have an increasing
number of these programs. Some funding is being provided through the
Labor Dept. incumbent worker funds and some by the companies. This is a
real growth area for services.