[Assessment 1114] Re: Intensity of Instruction

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Tue Feb 5 15:04:14 EST 2008

Hi Jackie, great questions. I can weigh in a little, and I'm sure that
subscribers can also add to what is meant by intensity and rigor, and of
course we will hear from our guests later on today.

There's a good article from Center for Applied Linguistics that
discusses this, through the lens of advancing NRS levels in BEST Plus:

Effects of Instructional Hours and Intensity of Instruction on NRS Level
Gain in Listening and Speaking
Sarah Young
Center for Applied Linguistics
2007
http://www.cal.org/resources/Digest/levelgain.html

It's pretty good - it reviews what is meant by instructional hours and
intensity, the relationship between level gains and these two factors,
and then provides some advice to programs.

Here is their definition of intensity of instruction:

"Intensity of instruction was defined as how often students attended
class over a given period of time, ranging from low intensity (e.g., 100
hours of instruction over 250 days) to high intensity (e.g., 100 hours
of instruction over 75 days)."

How about anyone else? Anything to add?