[Assessment 1119] Re: No Questions or Comments?!

Forrest Chisman forrest at crosslink.net
Tue Feb 5 18:41:03 EST 2008

Hello List,

As one of the "guests" in this discussion, I want to apologize for being so
late in weighing in. My ISP chose today to go down - ALL DAY. But I'll do my
best now, and Jodi Crandall may join me a bit later.

Let me start with the Andy's contribution, because transitions are a special
interest of mine. I was delighted to learn of this transition program, and
it seems to be doing all the right things. Andy, I think you could help all
of us if you could tell us MORE. For example, how many students are enrolled
in the program each year (or semester), is it limited in geographic area
(and if so what area), do you have waiting lists or can you serve everyone
who applies, how many weeks (terms) does the program run, at what level do
students enter it (or what criteria are used to select them), can you
characterize the curriculum (e.g., how does it differ from standard life
skills or credit ESL, if at all), what are the "internships" (a fascinating
idea!) and support services, what percentage of students who enroll make
transitions to colleges, do you know how successful they are in college?
Finally, how much does it cost on a per-student basis? The cost issue is
often a barrier to establishing and maintaining good transition programs. In
fact, could you support the program without private foundation funding? Is
that a barrier to expanding it? Are there other barriers to expanding it?

I know that's asking a lot, but really good transition programs are hard to
find, and I think you would make a major contribution by telling everyone
more about yours.

Jodi and I agree that there is a great need for more VESL programs. A
problem seems to be that good ones are expensive to develop and maintain.
I've seen too many good VESL programs that were created with grant funding
die because they couldn't be sustained by state funding, tuition, and other
"usual" means. Another problem seems to be the need to target VESL programs
on areas of real labor market need in a given area. Finally, at least some
VESL programs prepare students only for entry level jobs (such as CNA) that
pay very low wages. Often students who complete these programs don't remain
in the vocation very long, or if they do they become members of the "working
poor" - which most of them were to begin with. It seems that VESL programs
that contain a "career ladder" component have better results, both short
term and long term, for both the students and the workforce. I'm wondering
whether these observations correspond to the experiences of people viewing
this discussion, and if they do, what have any of you been able to do to
meet these problems/challenges? In fact, I'm wondering how many of you have
VESL programs, and in what fields.

Forrest Chisman

Vice President

Council for the Advancement of Adult Literacy