[Assessment 1123] Re: Observation checklist

Usha Narayanan usha_narayanan at fuhsd.org
Tue Feb 5 20:22:20 EST 2008

I have not been a part of this discussion and I really liked the tool that
Ted has shared with us. However, I have question and I hope that it is not
something that has already been asked and answered.

The first item on Ted¹s list is a little confusing. In most of our ESL
classes we enroll more than 10 students because of fiscal constraints and
the need for ESL in the community. So is it a negative or a positive to
have fewer than 10 students in a class? In our case, we expect to see more
than 10 students in a class and for the teacher to sustain the numbers.

As for the achievement gap, it is huge issue in all literacy programs
because of many socio-economic factors.

In our area, part of the Bay Area, the boom in the housing market (in past
several years) and high rents made it difficult for people to stay in one
neighborhood. Therefore they constantly move (this is seen more in people
who do not have high levels of education from their native country).

People with a certain level of education (college degrees from their
countries are more likely to find stable jobs and have some kind of
community support). Most other people hold two or more jobs, go in and out
of classes, change schedules, and finally drop out because of various
constraints. More than likely, they lack study skills and have no time to
practice.

The achievement gap stems not only from the differences in educational
levels of immigrants, but also due the huge difference in the availability
of community resources.

Usha Narayanan
Sunnyvale-Cupertino Adult Education
California
408-522-2737

On 2/5/08 1:00 PM, "Ted Klein" <taklein at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Marie,

> I did this list years ago based on literally decades in and out of the U.S.A.

> teaching, training teachers, supervising, coordinating, etc. in ESL. It is

> based on what seems to work or not work. I'm proud to say that I'm back in the

> ESL trenches after, among other things, twenty years with the Defense Language

> Institute English Language Center. I've been teaching immigrants part time for

> the last eight years for the Adult Education Department at Austin Community

> College. Getting back in the trenches has reminded me of what language

> teaching is all about. I feel sorry for anybody who has to work at a higher

> level, because that's really not as much fun! I truly hope that I apply

> everything on my list daily and don't fall into any of the "easy traps." I

> have distributed this list over the years to anybody who seemed interested and

> it is published on my website at

> http://www.tedklein-esl.com/ESL/20questions.html Feel absolutely free to use

> it in any way that will make life easier for students. Thank you very much for

> the input. Questions are welcome.

> Cheers, Ted

> Theodore A. (Ted) Klein, Jr.

> Independent Consultant in Language

> and Intercultural Training

> 14456 Agarita Road

> Austin, Texas 78734-2009

> Phone:512-266-1801

> taklein at austin.rr.com <mailto:taklein at austin.rr.com>

> www.tedklein-ESL.com <http://www.tedklein-ESL.com>

>>> Subject: [Assessment 1105] Re: No Questions or Comments?!

>>> Marie,

>>> In the long run, this may be all that I know.

>>> Ted

>>> www.tedklein-ESL.com <http://www.tedklein-ESL.com>

>>> 20 Questions: LANGUAGE CLASS OBSERVATION CHECKLIST YES NO

>>> 1. Were there 10 or fewer students in the class?

>>> 2. Was the classroom comfortable in terms of

>>> environment and learning atmosphere?

>>> 3. Did the instructor have a pleasant and

>>> supportive personality?

>>> 4. Were the lessons communication centered,

>>> rather than informational, most of the time?

>>> 5. Was the instructor a native-speaker or

>>> near native-speaker of the target language?

>>> 6. Was the target language used as a medium

>>> of instruction all or most of the time?

>>> 7. Did the students do most of the communication,

>>> rather than the instructor?

>>> 8. Did the instructor maintain control of the class

>>> in a non-threatening manner?

>>> 9. Did members of the class seem compatible with each

>>> other and the instructor?

>>> 10. Did the students seem closely matched in their

>>> target language proficiency?

>>> 11. Did all of the students participate?

>>> 12. Were students enthusiastic?

>>> 13. Did the instructor use a variety of techniques

>>> to elicit communication activities?

>>> 14. Did the instructor assist students, rather

>>> than push them?

>>> 15. Did the instructor use normal, rather than

>>> exaggerated speech?

>>> 16. Were training aids used to enhance or reinforce

>>> results?

>>> 17. Were new learning objectives reinforced adequately?

>>> 18. Was correction applied moderately and positively

>>> so that it wouldn't inhibit communication?

>>> 19. Was there a balance of language skills (listening,

>>> speaking, reading and writing?)

>>> 20. Were students dealt with appropriately for their

>>> ages? (e.g. adults treated like adults).