[Assessment 1124] Re: Factors affecting student advancement

Forrest Chisman forrest at crosslink.net
Tue Feb 5 20:28:05 EST 2008

D'Andra,

Thanks for this. The "personal barriers to success" often fall through the
stools in discussions of adult education -- I suppose because they aren't
amenable to "educational" solutions, in the narrow sense of the term. Yet
they may well be the greatest barriers of all. Many teachers report spending
a lot of time doing "social work." But at the program level, we found too
few approaches to systematically addressing these problems. Have any of you
found ways to come to grips with them? Do you have any ideas about how to do
it?

Forrest Chisman
Vice President
CAAL