[Assessment 1126] Re: Intensity of Instruction and funding of adult ESLprograms

Schneider, Jim jschneider at eicc.edu
Tue Feb 5 23:29:42 EST 2008

At our cc based adult learning center we do not charge any fees for instruction.

We have dabbled with the managed enrollment, however our institution is driven by enrollment and contact hours so that we simply cannot afford to operate in a managed enrollment fashion. I do believe that it is better for the teachers and students. Unfortunately, operating in a strict fashion, our enrollment took close to a 50% reduction. Still, recognizing the value of the concept, the past two years we have attempted a semi-managed enrollment. In the fall we have a 3 week enrollment period and then hold classes with no additional students for 5 weeks. Then an additional 3 week open enrollment followed by no new students for 5 weeks. Ideally, we would operate in this fashion year round providing some sense of continuity for the instructors and learners. Unfortunately, student attendance waxes and wanes due to employment, weather, transportation, etc. and in each year we attempted this we held to it through the second 5 weeks and then abandon it for the remainder of the year because student attendance/enrollment declined to the point that we had to enroll any learner whenever they were interested to meet our enrollment goals.

The bulk of our english learners enroll in the three levels of morning classes which meet Monday through Thursday from 8:30 until 11 a.m.. Our evening program has varied from 2-3 levels. Evening classes meet Monday and Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m.. Both morning and evening classes are offered for approximately 38 weeks through the fall and spring semesters.

These offerings are "how we have always done it" and are somewhat bound by the available funds.

Jim, "I like the sound of eloquent" Schneider

Message-----