[Assessment 1127] Re: Observation checklist

Forrest Chisman forrest at crosslink.net
Wed Feb 6 02:33:15 EST 2008

Gee, Jodi, thanks for setting me up! And thanks for your other comments in
this posting (which I wish I had made).

What we found at CCSF was that students who began at the Literacy Level
persisted longer (on average) and advanced more levels (on average) than did
students who began at any other level, although it took them longer (on
average) to advance each level. Regrettably CCSF did not have data on level
of prior education for most of its students. Also their Literacy Level
students may not be typical. They have a large Chinese population, and some
members of that population would initially be placed in the Literacy level
simply to learn the English alphabet and to get a start on other major
linguistic differences if they had no English background, regardless of
prior education. More importantly, we found that students who began at the
Literacy and Low Beginning levels were more likely to advance more levels
than were other students, but only about 20% of students who started at the
Literacy of Low Beginning Levels advanced more than two levels over a 7-year
time period. Does that jibe with experiences elsewhere?

Okay?

Also, it's important to note that few of the students in the Reder
longitudinal study are ESL students. So we really need more research on ESL
learning by students outside the classroom and post-program. Among the
things we need to know more about is the learning of "stop-outs" -- students
who enroll, drop out, and re-enroll -- while they are absent from the
program. The CCSF research showed that a significant percentage of students
stopped out (for about two years on average). Most of them re-enrolled at
the same level where they had previously been placed (suggesting no learning
gain, or possibly learning loss). Also, while they advanced the same number
of levels as other students who began at the same level, it took them more
terms to do so. But we don't consider this definitive, because the finding
may be partly an artifact of placement procedures. It is possible that
students learn a lot of English outside the classroom, but the Census
reports an increasingly large number of linguistically isolated households,
neighborhoods, and jobs, so this effect may be diminishing. It's important
to find out.