[Assessment 1134] Re: Intensity of Instruction and funding of adult ESLprograms

Forrest Chisman forrest at crosslink.net
Wed Feb 6 11:33:37 EST 2008

Jim,

That's too bad about your experiences with managed enrollment. Some of the
colleges we studied think they "beat this rap" by creating very large
managed enrollment classes to allow for attrition. (For them, managed
enrollment meant that if students didn't attend on a regular basis, they
were dropped from the program.) They figured that what they lost in head
counts, they made up for in contact hours. But we also heard stories like
yours. I'm beginning to believe that "managed enrollment" works best as one
of several "tracks" -- if a program is large enough to have "tracks" -- a
track for the motivated. Some programs believe that it is by itself
"motivational" -- in that it encourages students to make more of a
"commitment."

What do the rest of you think?