[Assessment 1142] Re: Observation checklist

Ted Klein taklein at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 6 16:40:10 EST 2008

Forrest,

The person who started the DLIELC testing program, not too long after WW II, was Sydney Sako. Sydney was a mathematician with a strong interest in language. The people who developed the test items were well-educated language people. I'm a right brained/creative person, who was the second oldest person in his high school class to graduate, because of math. Therefore, I really don't understand the whole process. However, I recognize what works. The English Comprehension Level (ECL) test, was amazingly successful. Each form, and there were many, was normed against other forms and the numbers were very steady. It was a combination of around 120 listening and reading multiple choice items. If you tested students using different forms, the numbers were quite close. Each specialty required a specific score; 65 for admittance to on-the-job training, 90 for Staff College, 85 for pilots, etc. When I was in the program, the failure rate among students who went on into their specialty because of language problems, was very small...something like 5%. In the 1980's the federal Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) was added for persons who needed specific speaking levels, such as air traffic controllers, pilots, Puerto Rican ROTC graduates to get their commissions and some others. I understand that the ECL is now done on a computer, but the principles remain basically the same. You can get up-to-date information on the current system at http://www.dlielc.org/testing/ecl_test.html Students who had received a good balance of training; listening, speaking, reading and writing skills and who performed well on the ECL test were generally also proficient orally.

There is a second option, the American Language Course Placement Test (ALCPT) which consists of expired ECL tests that DLIELC can sell to recognized educational institutions. Several years ago I tried to get it adapted for Adult Education here, rather than the current system. The effort was almost successful, as a lot of people liked it. It was much quicker and cheaper to administer than what happens now and doesn't depend on opinion. However, acceptance of change is always a problem in anything. I have an article about the ALCPT on my website at http://www.tedklein-esl.com/ESL/lang_tests.html The ALCPT does not test persons who can't read English, but there are alternative ways to place students in that situation.

Military personnel are much more reflective of the population as a whole than one might imagine. Don't count on the accuracy of my memory on all of the details, but if I recall there was something like a ten percent drop in average proficiency gain monthly, when two or three students were added to a class of ten. DLI Training Management had wheels to predict how long it would take to gain X many points and they were surprisingly accurate. Students were in class four hours a day and two more hours in a supervised lab, five days a week. Scores were used for placement as well as graduation. My personal experience of this whole English Language Training package was positive. There were always complaints, but the proof was in the pudding.

Now I live in the "do your own thing" world which is much more fun. However, I respect other ways of operating. The main difference is that students were in their national uniforms, had to be on time and the system was more "regimented." Occasionally persons from the academic community find teaching jobs there and some of them run away at the first opportunity! Others stay for a career. I managed...and have some fond memories. I have been in ESL since 1961, so DLIELC represents less than half of my career.

Cheers, Ted

Theodore A. (Ted) Klein, Jr.
Independent Consultant in Language
and Intercultural Training