[Assessment 1171] Re: Intensity of Instruction and funding ofadult ESLprograms

Forrest Chisman forrest at crosslink.net
Thu Feb 7 21:58:14 EST 2008

Dear Ajit,

Our research supports the idea you suggest: managed enrollment is usually
offered as one option (and often not at all levels) at the larger campus
sites, but not at remote locations. Interestingly, it usually seems to
attract more students than it can handle. The limit, of course, is that it
managed enrollment programs are usually also high intensity programs. Thus
they require more teacher hours/level than do open entry/exit programs and
therefore APPEAR more expensive. But if they move students up and out more
quickly, then they would be LESS expensive in reality.

Our research on 5 colleges (in "Passing the Torch")supports your hypothesis
that high intensity, managed enrollment students are more likely to attend
more hours and to advance more levels, although we were not always able to
quantify this.

Our CCSF research (in "Pathways and Outcomes" ) provides quantitative
evidence that supports your observation (and that of others) that students
who advance levels attend about 100-110 hours on average, BUT students who
attend this many hours are more likely to advance if they do so
consecutively (i.e. in the same term). CCSF offers few high intensity
programs in the traditional sense, but students who enroll in the high
intensity programs they DO offer both attend far more hours and advance far
more rapidly. In contrast, we found that students who attend 50 hours or
less rarely advance levels EVER. That doesn't mean they don't learn
anything, but they don't learn enough to be promoted a level, and they
almost always drop out.

CCSF also offers an interesting solution to BOTH the problems of how to
blend high intensity instruction and how to deal with the problem (raised in
various contexts in this discussion) of how deal with students who are more
proficient in one of the ESL skills (perhaps because of prior education)
than in others. They offer "Focus" programs at every level of instruction.
Each focus program offers 5 hours per week of instruction in one of the core
ESL skill areas (reading, writing, speaking, listening). Students in the
mainstream 10/hour per week program (which teaches all 4 skills) are not
required to take these focus programs, but some are advised to do so. A
remarkably large percentage of students enroll in one or more Focus programs
during their careers in non-credit ESL, and they almost always do so
concurrently with the mainstream program. Hence these students elect a
fairly high intensity schedule (15 hours per week) and one that allows them
to make up for difficulties in mastering particular skills. Not
surprisingly, we found that students who enroll in Focus programs attend
more total hours, persist longer, and are more likely to advance than are
other students. In a way, one can see Focus programs as one way of offering
high intensity instruction as an option.

Forrest