[Assessment 1184] Re: (no subject)

Jodi Crandall crandall at umbc.edu
Fri Feb 8 11:39:35 EST 2008

Kevin,

Are many of your students what we now refer to as generation 1.5
students? They have had much or most of their education in this
country, but may still need extensive help with academic English,
especially in writing?

If so, are there any special things that you have tried to help this
population?

Do you also have international students?

Joy Reid has written extensively about "ear" learners (generation 1.5
learners would likely be here) and "eye" learners and how their needs
are so different. Ear learners are those who were immersed in an
English-speaking environment and have learned their English orally.
As you suggest, they have strong Basic Interpersonal Communication
Skills or social language, but may not have developed the academic
language required for success in the community college. Eye learners
are just the opposite: they have learned English through books and
lack the fluency of ear learners, but are more likely to have more
standard English While these two groups share some common needs,
they are also very different in others. It's a real challenge.
Getting these ear learners prepared for the college is something that
lots of people are talking and writing about.

There is also the problem with the first group that they speak
English and often are offended when told they need more English,
especially when it's ESL!

In effect you are teaching only credit ESL, is that right? Are there
linkages with any of the programs in the community that are teaching
lower level ESL?

Jodi
On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Forrest Chisman wrote:

> Kevin,

> Thanks for the explanation. I find it VERY useful. It’s a very

> interesting model. I’m not surprised that your students are

> motivated for college, because they’ve signed up for a college prep

> track! What worries me are the limited aspirations of many lower

> level ESL students who may have college potential.

> I understand now why you don’t have the resources to operate a more

> comprehensive program. I’ve heard an increasing number of stories

> about areas were the LEA runs the federal/state adult education

> ESL grant program and has asked the local college to take it over

> (because the LEA has concluded it’s an “adult” program). Have there

> been any rumblings of that in your area?

> Best of luck in your good work.

> Forrest

JoAnn (Jodi) Crandall
Professor and Director
Language, Literacy and Culture Ph.D. Program
Director, Peace Corps Master's Intl Program in ESOL/Bilingual Education
University of Maryland Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
tel: 410-455-2313