[Assessment 1185] Re: {Dangerous Content?} RE: No Questions orComments?!

Jodi Crandall crandall at umbc.edu
Fri Feb 8 11:48:56 EST 2008

Jim,

I think you've summarized how I feel as well.

We can discuss the various options with students, but in the end, if
we offer Spanish Literacy and Spanish GED, it's their choice. Some
will choose to do everything in English and take longer to do it, but
others will choose to work in their own language. For some students,
the Spanish GED provides short-term benefits. But they will still
need ESL for future academic or vocational training, if they have
limited English.

Have any programs tried to encourage students in Spanish Literacy or
Spanish GED to take ESL classes as well?

Jodi

On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Schneider, Jim wrote:

> I feel compelled to put my two cents in on the Spanish GED.

> My experience is that both Andres and Ted have valid points. Here

> in Eastern Iowa, there are few bilingual employers. Employers that

> are bilingual rarely pay the best wages and are typically short of

> employees if there are any signs of INS.

> On the other hand, many of the students who have completed the

> Spanish GED are already employed, and have fairly decent English

> skills, but are short on time. Attaining the GED provides them the

> opportunity for advancement at work and/or access to postsecondary

> education/training.

> It has been excruciating watch the one or two who insist on the GED

> in English get through the Literature and Writing portions of the

> test.

> And the difficulty of the new Spanish GED tests are such that it is

> a rare student who can pass it. The old Spanish GED was attainable

> for most learners who had a 6-8th grade education. We have found

> that it is virtually impossible for anyone with less than a 10-11

> grade education By simply translating the English test into Spanish

> and then utilizing the standard scores/norms of the English test,

> students who have passed it, have EARNED their GED.

> Jim S.

Professor and Director
Language, Literacy and Culture Ph.D. Program
Director, Peace Corps Master's Intl Program in ESOL/Bilingual Education
University of Maryland Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
tel: 410-455-2313