[Assessment 1186] Re: (no subject)

jhalaesl at aol.com jhalaesl at aol.com
Fri Feb 8 11:50:59 EST 2008

Not always the reason for an LEA-to-local college turnover of those federal and state adult ed funds
In my experience, it has simply and sadly been the result of limited resources and insufficient funds.
And in some areas a CBO (not an LEA) manages those grant programs, offers classes free to the lowest literacy ESL/ESOL students, and is never able to fully bridge the gap between very part-time instruction and college.

One key element to our small successes has been having colleagues in each institution (local college, LEA, CBO, gov't DOE/DOL) who understand the dynamics and the gaps. Granted, most are still limited by the systems in which they work and to which they must be accountable. But there is still much to be said for permitting ourselves some case-by-case thinking, making those simple phone calls, and asking.

Joanne Hala
Literacy Serrvices
Jointure for Community Adult Education, Inc.

’ve heard an increasing number of stories about
areas were the LEA runs the federal/state  adult education ESL grant program
and has asked the local college to take it over (because the LEA has concluded
it’s an “adult” program). Have there been any rumblings of
that in your area?