[Assessment 1189] Re: (no subject)

Hinkle, Robert rhinkle at raritanval.edu
Fri Feb 8 12:52:45 EST 2008

Jodi,

We have a small but probably growing group of Generation 1.5 students (I wrote a dissertation on Generation 1.5 students for my PhD from NYU - completed in late 2005). Some Gen. 1.5 students do take some ESL while others end up going the developmental studies route. Largely this depends on how resistant they are to ESL. We simply can't force somebody to be motivated for something they do not think they need. We find they are much more excited by developmental coursework than by ESL - and we feel that they are more likely to be successful there. I should add that the Generation 1.5 students I see at RVCC are not as severely underdeveloped in terms of academic skills as Gen. 1.5 students in somewhat more urban locations. As so many discover, there are no magical answers. This is where I gnash my teeth at the lack of cooperation between high schools and colleges. I feel cooperation could mitigate the rather devastating effect of being told in college that your English is not at all what is expected for academic success.

We do have some international students and a fairly significant number of au pairs who are working for the many wealthy families that live in this part of New Jersey.

Our ESL is all credit (unfortunately all but the highest level of reading/writing is credit in name only; it doesn't count towards a degree but is called credit for billing purposes - similar to developmental reading and math courses for native speaking students). Fortunately, we did convince the college to award 6 real credits for the highest level reading/writing course which can count towards RVCC graduation only as a general elective.

Kevin