[Assessment 1208] Re: (no subject)

Forrest Chisman forrest at crosslink.net
Fri Feb 8 17:08:56 EST 2008

Joanne,

I'm interested in the question Jodi asks too. As I understand it, local
literacy councils have been on the wane, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

I'm aware that CBO's are the federal/state grant providers in some areas,
although nationwide (according to DOE surveys anyway) they serve a far
smaller percentage of students than do LEA's and colleges. I mean them no
disrespect. I've seen some that were highly professionalized and provided
superb service, and some that didn't -- just like colleges and LEA's J!
It's the quality of the provider, not the type of provider that matters.

What interests me more is your reference to the implicit "division of labor"
between CBO's and colleges or LEA's you mention. I think that in some areas
this is fairly common: colleges or LEA's refer the lowest level students to
CBO's (with or without the necessary funding). In most of the cases where
I've seen this, it doesn't seem to work out very well. There isn't the
coordination/collaboration to which you allude. In fact, I've sometimes had
the impression that it's a way of dumping the hardest to serve students on
CBO's. Too often these students become "out of sight and out of mind." And
because the students ARE the hardest to serve, low success rates make the
CBO's look bad, compared to the other providers - unfairly. I've tried to
chase down information about this model in the past, but I haven't been very
successful. I would love to know if any of the rest of you have experience
with it, and how well you think it works.

Forrest