[Assessment 1219] Re: Multiple Intelligences and Differentiated Instruction--registration opens

Bonnie Odiorne bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 8 19:33:02 EST 2008

I am going to try the course; I just registered. As I've been following the discussion with interest, I've been very intrigued by the issue of multiple ihntelligences as they impact college transition, differentiated classrooms (from the point of view of skills levels as well as intrinsic motivation) and the increasing number of "developmental" students, regardless of their educational backgrounds. If colleges and universities could get out of the "developmental" model to a curriculum revision model that enhances instructional changes (faculty are now talking about Bloom's taxonomy as a starting point for curriculum revision), including differentiated instruction... I do this wearing several hats: while I was in adult education previously, in various ABE/ESOL programs, including tutor training (so the comments about CBOs and standards for volunteers is a very difficult topic), family, workplace, employability with technological enhancement literacy
programs ccombining ABE and ESOL students, I am now teaching French (?!; it used to be ESOL but the university did away with its formalized program) developmental English composition, freshman college success seminars, working with a summer "bridge" program for at risk students, and I am also director of the university writing center. Writing across the curriculum, writing to learn, and multiple intelligences seemed to me to be answers to the differentiated classroom. I also identify with funding: my jobs are both part-time... and assesment (I work with the learning center to administer Accuplacer). We also have a lot of developmental problems with online students so I do writing center advising electronically....
Coincidentally, I'd been invited to facilitate an Oakland Unified Schools District ESOL teachers' retreat with a mindfulness activity (I chose walking the labyrinth) in relation to multiple intelligences, but I couldn't get the life scan fingerprinting done in time, alas. I may have some role in this program but I'm not quite sure what. In any event, when things come together like this, I tend to listen up, so thought I needed to take advantage of the opportunity to take the course.
Cheers, all you dedicated practitioners out there.
Bonnie Odiorne, Ph.D. Post University Waterbury CT