[Assessment 1250] Videos of good teachers teaching ESL

Jodi Crandall crandall at umbc.edu
Mon Feb 11 20:01:33 EST 2008

I knew that Lynn Savage had developed a series of these some years
ago, so i emailed her to ask if they were still available and also if
she knew of others.

What follows is the information that she sent:

The title of our series is Teacher Training through Video. The
publisher is Longman/Pearson. The videos are now on two DVD's - 6
lessons each - 1 on lesson planning and 5 on lower level techniques
on one DVD; the other 6 of high level techniques.

About the time we did ours a woman from New York (I can't remember
her name now) also did a series with federal dollars. I believe they
were published through Laubach Literacy or ProLiteracy. I don't know
if they are still available.

The Toronto Board of Education also did something called TESL Vision:
A Video Resource for TESL teaching. I used part of one of them when
I was doing Peace Corps training. As I recall, their apporach is
more reflective and less didactic than TTTV.

Thanks, Lynn.

On Feb 10, 2008, at 6:57 PM, jhalaesl at aol.com wrote:

> MLOTS (David Rosen in Mass.) was working on a project to produce

> online instructional demo/best practices videos. Anyone know of the

> progress on that?

JoAnn (Jodi) Crandall
Professor and Director
Language, Literacy and Culture Ph.D. Program
Director, Peace Corps Master's Intl Program in ESOL/Bilingual Education
University of Maryland Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
tel: 410-455-2313