[Assessment 1260] Discussion next week on FOB list: Impediments to ESOL learning

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Fri Feb 15 12:53:59 EST 2008

Subscribers, the following discussion next week might interest some of
you, especially given the topic of our discussion last week.

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator

**************************
Hi Everyone,

Great News! Next week we will have one final guest discussion here on
the Focus on Basics List.
Robin Lovrien Schwarz will discuss her article in the recent FOB issue
(8D).

Sorry for the short notice, folks, but I hope that most of our faithful
readers can join us for this last discussion. Feel free to invite
colleagues to join in.

All the best,
Julie

We will discuss the following article with Robin, the author:

Addressing Potential Impediments to Learning with ESOL Students
http://www.ncsall.net/fileadmin/resources/fob/2007/fob_8d.pdf

Note: Issue 8D is available only in PDF format. You can find this
article on page 20.

Adult ESOL students who are not achieving the expected progress are
often assumed to have learning disabilities. While this may indeed be
the case, there are several other issues that can impede their ability
to learn. This article discusses several of these issues and offers
strategies to assess them and address them.

To prepare, read the following article from FOB 8A, and think about the
Discussion Questions listed below:

Taking a Closer Look at Struggling ESOL Learners
by Robin L. Schwarz
http://www.ncsall.net/?id=994

Discussion questions

1. What are some of the problems of learners in your program who have
not made progress?
2. Do you think the factors discussed in the article could explain some
struggles you've noticed in your learners?
3. How have you discovered, and then addressed the issues?
4. How can a program develop a coherent system to identify these issues?
5. What kind of professional development do practitioners need in order
to address these problems?

Julie McKinney
Discussion List Moderator
World Education/NCSALL