[Assessment 1266] Re: Formative Assessment in Adult Literacy Education:A Special Topics Discussion

Laura Chenven LChenven at 1199funds.org
Wed Feb 20 17:17:37 EST 2008

Formative assessment - probably the most important type of assessment
that can be done in the classroom - it looks at the individual as well
as the group, uses the talents and skills of the teacher (potentially
the best and most underutilized assessment tool we have) and allows for
continuous adjustment of the teaching and learning process to meet the
needs of students. Lately I've been engaged in evaluation of adult
education programs (mostly college based) that look at the formative
process in order to give programs the tools to change and modify what
they do to improve outcomes. Often if we wait for the summative
assessment of the individual or t he summative evaluation of a project
or program, we miss the why. We don't learn the reason for the outcomes
or get the insight we need to make change. Thanks for the chance to hear
more about this important topic.

Laura Chenven
Healthcare Career Advancement Program
National Coordinator