[Assessment 1280] Re: Assessing reading when reading means listening totext

Susan Kidd SKidd at sbctc.edu
Mon Mar 31 04:52:03 EDT 2008

It might make more sense to assess comprehension of content material for students who employ reading technology.

Many years ago, I worked with a high school student who had a significant learning disability in reading (I was actually tutoring him in math). After many unsuccessful interventions, his parents resorted to reading his homework aloud to him. The result was that rather than receiving Ds and Fs in such subjects as history and English, he was able to maintain a C average.

Susan

SUSAN KIDD
ABE Professional Development Coordinator
State Board for Community & Technical Colleges
509-682-6968
cell phone: 509-630-4520