[Assessment 1280] Re: Assessing reading when reading means listening totext

Laura Chenven LChenven at 1199funds.org
Mon Mar 31 10:32:41 EDT 2008

Hi - all good ideas. There is already some data - though I can't
remember where I saw it on comprehension with fast reading. What I
remember is that reading comprehension with a program like Kurzweill
actually goes up when the reading is done "fast". Apparently the faster
reading helps the learner cut off distractors and leads to more focused
concentration and better comprehension. This may be an average response
as opposed to one that differentiates between "average" listeners and
those with different types of learning disabilities. In any case, it wo
uld be interesting to learn more about this phenomenon. Measuring
increased comprehension with speed of reading may not be an effective
way of assessing improvement - at least not for native English speakers
- though it could be different for non-native English speakers.

I suspect that reading along with text read out loud might improve sight
vocabulary but do little for decoding skills. So an interesting
question might be what combination of listening/reading along (with
Kurzweill or other programs that provide aural and visual stimulation)
and direct instruction in decoding would have a maximum effect and for
whom.

Laura Chenven