[Assessment 1294] Variations on Free Speeches and Workshops

tsticht at znet.com tsticht at znet.com
Tue Apr 22 17:12:34 EDT 2008

Colleagues: In the last few years I have been doing free speeches or
workshops for adult literacy groups. Recently, I have found that some
groups like a variation on either a keynote or a one day workshop and
instead like to combine them or do other types of programs. For instance,
January of 2007 I did a keynote in the Dublin, Ireland area followed by a
breakout session. Then the next day I did a policy-oriented presentation
for various government officials. In September of 2007 I did a program for
the Pima College adult education group in which on one day I did a keynote
for some 200 staff, then over the next two days I did two presentations a
day for smaller groups in different branches of the college. Then in
February of this year, I spoke in Miami for the Miami Dade adult education
group where I did a keynote for all 800 participants in the opening session
of the meeting, then I did a breakout session before lunch and another after
lunch followed by another keynote to the full group which closed the day. In
both Connecticut and Delaware this year I did a keynote and a breakout
concurrent session. In Massachusetts recently I did a keynote for a meeting
on integrated curriculum models followed by a concurrent, breakout group.
Then the next day I did a presentation for Department of Education senior
staff.

On June 20, 2008 I will present another variant of a one-day program for the
New Mexico Coalition for Literacy conference in Socorro, New Mexico. My
program will include an opening morning keynote presentation in a plenary
session followed by two concurrent sessions, one in the morning and another
in the afternoon (see description below). For information about the
conference contact: Heather Heunermund, Executive Director at
1-800-233-7587 or email heather at nmcl.org

For a discussion about having one of my keynotes, workshops or a specially
arranged programs in your area contact me at tsticht at aznet.net All my
presentations are free, though sponsors have to pay travel expenses. Hope
to see several list members at the conference June! Tom Sticht

New Mexico Coalition for Literacy Conference June 20, 2008 in Socorro, NM
Program by Tom Sticht

Keynote from 9:05 to 9:45am. Title: "The Lions of Literacy: Teaching With
R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

This is a motivational presentation that emphasizes the importance of seven
factors starting with the letters R.E.S.P.E.C.T. in teaching adult literacy
learners, with an emphasis upon R for Relevance. I then review contributions
of four great pioneer teachers of adult literacy and how their work, which
focused upon the Relevance of learning to learners, contributed to the
empowerment and social inclusion of millions of adults in the United
States.

Concurrent Session from 10:15-12:00. Title: Meeting the Yearning for
Learning

Using research and insights from Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand,
England and the United States this presentation focuses on policies,
initiatives, and methods for fostering learning both inside and outside the
classroom or tutoring session. A personal perspective is provided on
increasing participation in the United Kingdom (England): From the Right to
Read To The Skills for Life Strategy. Issues regarding participation,
retention, persistence, progression, achievement, and accountability are
addressed. Advocacy for adult literacy education is called for by
emphasizing multiple returns to investments in adult literacy education
(getting "Double Duty Dollars" (Australia, Canada, New Zealand & U.S.)
"More Power for the Pound" (England) and "More Energy for the Euro"
(Ireland).

Lunch 12:00-1:30pm

Concurrent Session from 1:45-3:30. Title: From Parents to Progeny: The
Intergenerational Transfer of Literacy

This session focuses on preventing literacy problems from occurring across
generations by promoting the intergenerational transfer of literacy from
parents to their progeny. Research is reviewed on early childhood
development, IQ, brain science, and adult literacy, including the debunking
of myths that hold adult literacy education back. Understanding the role of
parent's education, language and literacy development on the subsequent
language and literacy development of their children aims at moving away
from a lifelong(one life cycle) education policy to a multiple life cycles
policy for education that emphasizes the importance of education and
learning for both children and adults.