[Assessment 1311] CASAS vs. BEST

Rodrick Beiler, Ingrid Ingrid.RodrickBeiler at montgomerycountymd.gov
Wed May 14 12:24:23 EDT 2008

Hi everyone

I serve as the coordinator for an adult ESOL program in Montgomery
County, MD. We offer classes mostly at the beginner level, with some
classes at literacy and intermediate levels as well. I am fairly new to
this field and am trying to determine the comparative usefulness of
CASAS and BEST for assessment of our program. Can anyone comment on
how/why their organizations might have chosen one over the other?

In case it is helpful for understanding my organization's needs, here is
some more background information:
- We serve about 275-300 learners per semester.
- Many of our learners have a very low educational level.
- Pre- and post-tests are administered by our instructors during the
first and last classes of the semester.
- Placement tests are administered by coordinators at each of our sites
in one-on-one interviews.
- We provide 36-48 instructional hours per semester. (I wonder if this
precludes our using the BEST.)
- Most of our funding comes from two sources (government and a private
funder).
- The cost of standardized assessments is an important factor to us.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ingrid Rodrick Beiler

Ingrid Rodrick Beiler