[Assessment 1316] Re: CASAS vs. BEST

Bryan Woerner bwoerner at cal.org
Fri May 16 13:27:13 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

Ingrid raises some good points to consider when choosing an assessment.
What are the needs and goals of your program? What are the needs and
goals of your students? For what purpose are you testing? What resources
do you have available?

If you would like more information about the adult ESL assessments
available from CAL, please visit our websites:

For BEST Plus, visit www.best-plus.net; for BEST Literacy, visit
http://www.cal.org/topics/ta/bestliteracy.html.

In regards to Ingrid's point about instructional hours, CAL recommends a
minimum of 60 instructional hours between pre- and posttesting to show
progress when using our assessments. In addition, we have also published
the results from our level gains study involving BEST Plus and the
National Reporting System (NRS) ESL Functioning Levels. It is available
free at http://www.cal.org/resources/digest/levelgain.html
<http://www.cal.org/resources/digest/levelgain.html> . For more
information about the NRS, please visit www.nrsweb.org.

If you have any further questions, we will be happy to talk to you and
provide more information off line. Please contact us at AEA at cal.org or
by toll free by phone at 866-845-2378.

Bryan Woerner
Adult ESL Assessments