[Assessment 1321] Re: CASAS vs. BEST

Anthony Berry aberryesq at hotmail.co.uk
Sat May 17 08:41:05 EDT 2008

Hi Maria

By adaptive I mean a test that responds to the answers submitted by the testee (normally to wrong answers) and asks subsequent questions that will test whether it was a true wrong response; ie an error, or a false wrong response; ie a mistake (drilling down to slips would, I think be too difficult) - thereby delving down into the problem area and subsequently being able to diagnose the learner's areas in need of attention. In my environment, at a private business EFL school in England, what stds want/need is to be assessed for the level of their learning and, if possible, at the same time to have sufficient timely feedback to help them progress in the relatively short timeframes available.

Any thoughts anyone?

Anthony

From: marie.cora at hotspurpartners.comTo: assessment at nifl.govDate: Fri, 16 May 2008 17:14:19 -0400Subject: [Assessment 1319] Re: CASAS vs. BEST

Hi Anthony,

Can you tell us some more details about the purpose and audience of the assessment you’re searching for? Tell us more about what you mean by adaptive test (below). I think by normative, you mean norm-referenced, is that correct?

Others – do you have suggestions for Anthony’s quest?

Assessment Discussion List Moderator

-----Original Message-----From: assessment-bounces at nifl.gov [mailto:assessment-bounces at nifl.gov] On Behalf Of Anthony BerrySent: Friday, May 16, 2008 8:34 AMTo: The Assessment Discussion ListSubject: [Assessment 1315] Re: CASAS vs. BEST

Could someone please tell me how I an have sight of BEST. I have been looking for an adaptive, normative, diagnostic test for ages and this seems as though it might fit the bill. What flavour of English is it? Yes, you can see that I am of the Queen's English brigade! Thanks for any help - btw this would be for research purposes not productive use. Anthony Berry

Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 04:34:28 -0700From: mjjerdems at yahoo.comTo: assessment at nifl.govSubject: [Assessment 1314] Re: CASAS vs. BESTThe BEST is great for assessing the learner's production of English. Its additional pluses are that there are not test forms that learners can learn it identify and recall easily; the test questions become harder or easier depending on how the learner's responses are scored, which mitigates differences between assessors; and it would be better able to identify small progress than CASAS forms. The one major downside is that it takes time and more time as the learners progress. A large program simply cannot afford to put the hours into testing that BEST Plus requires.I've used both CASAS and BEST Plus in smaller programs because one instrument cannot give a full picture on a learner (Assessment 101), and it maximizes the chance to show improvement at post-test. Good luck,Mary Jane JerdeHoward Community College"Rodrick Beiler, Ingrid" <Ingrid.RodrickBeiler at montgomerycountymd.gov> wrote:

Hi everyone

I serve as the coordinator for an adult ESOL program in Montgomery County, MD. We offer classes mostly at the beginner level, with some classes at literacy and intermediate levels as well. I am fairly new to this field and am trying to determine the comparative usefulness of CASAS and BEST for assessment of our program. Can anyone comment on how/why their organizations might have chosen one over the other?

In case it is helpful for understanding my organization's needs, here is some more background information: - We serve about 275-300 learners per semester. - Many of our learners have a very low educational level. - Pre- and post-tests are administered by our instructors during the first and last classes of the semester. - Placement tests are administered by coordinators at each of our sites in one-on-one interviews. - We provide 36-48 instructional hours per semester. (I wonder if this precludes our using the BEST.) - Most of our funding comes from two sources (government and a private funder). - The cost of standardized assessments is an important factor to us.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks, Ingrid Rodrick Beiler

Ingrid Rodrick Beiler ESOL Coordinator Linkages to Learning 51 Monroe Street, Suite 1700 Rockville, MD 20850 Phone: (240) 777-1110 Fax: (240) 777-1111 ingrid.rodrickbeiler at montgomerycountymd.gov