[Assessment 1325] Re: CASAS vs. BEST

Karen Burger kburger at ciesc.k12.in.us
Tue May 20 10:28:45 EDT 2008

Here in Indiana we use CASAS for EL classes. The main reason is for
reporting purposes, however it is an excellent tool for directing
instruction as well. Yes, it does focus on reading and writing although
there is also a listening component as well. Listening is the hardest to
get a level gain (NRS guidelines). The CASAS Life and Work reading test is
very well put together. It includes reading selections, charts, work
schedules, paystubs, newspaper articles, want ads, nutritional information
labels, department store sale signs, maps, instruction manuals, recipes,
medicine bottle labels...all authentic materials that require the type of
reading needed in everyday life. All the questions are coded according the
CASAS competencies and can be correlated with Basic Skill Content Standards.
There are sample questions on the CASAS website, www.casas.org
<http://www.casas.org/> and descriptions of the various tests available.

As is true with any assessment tool, CASAS is just one measure that can give
us a snapshot of and Educational Functioning Level according to an approved
definition. The test can't do it all and a student might eventually test
out of CASAS and still need instruction. Nonetheless, the test items are
meaningful and useful for informing instruction. I made it a point to
devote a portion of my classroom instruction to the CASAS competencies. I
made posters and charts, used newspapers and had learners bring in forms,
signs, etc. that were similar to those found in the tests. Then I
formulated questions to "test" comprehension that the students could use as
individuals, in pairs or as a group. We used them to break up the class,
"walk-arounds" with a clipboard. Lots of fun, a great springboard for
further instruction or discussion and gave meaning to the pre-post testing
in that learners saw a connection between the test and the class

I can't comment of BEST. We don't use it.

Karen Burger
Professional Development Consultant
IDOE Adult Education Professional Development Project
6321 La Pas Trail
Indianapolis, IN 46268
317-387-7117
1-800-532-8339