[Assessment 1340] Re: Tests vs. Self Assessments of Literacy

Katrina Hinson khinson at almanid.com
Tue Jun 10 11:40:06 EDT 2008

I think that is a great idea. I do already ask my students if they have kids. It usually comes up easily when they realize I have 4 of my own from 3 to 16- they are always amazed and it's a great way to learn a lot about them. I also find that they are all excited when they are able to help their children with homework or do something as simple as write a letter to their child's teacher where as before they wouldn't have ever done it. They would have been uncomfortable doing so. I love the idea of trying to partner with a school in this manner. I don't know how realistic it would be to partner with one but I think it bares looking into.

Regards,
Katrina Hinson

>>> "Kroeger, Miriam" <Miriam.Kroeger at azed.gov> 06/10/08 4:51 PM >>>

You might also want to ask your adult students if they have children in school, what grades, and of course what schools. Ask them how their children are doing. For persistent adult ed learners - keep track of these "informal" stats, particularly if the children are attending a school/schools close to your adult ed program. Then introduce yourself to the principal and tell him/her that several of your adult learners have children at the elementary school, and they are reporting that the children are doing well, or improving. Does the principal see this?, the children's teachers? Do they think there might be a correlation? Would they want to work with you on a little "research project" to confirm this??

Sometimes adult education is the best kept secret in the neighborhood.
-Miriam Kroeger