[Assessment 1341] Re: Tests vs. Self Assessments of Literacy

Anderson, Philip Philip.Anderson at fldoe.org
Tue Jun 10 12:58:15 EDT 2008

To add to Miriam's thoughts, we in Florida strongly encourage adult
education programs to pay a brief, upbeat visit when school starts in
the fall, and again in January to the K12 schools to give flyers about
the adult education program, the new schedule of classes, and to talk
personally with the principal or designee. Building a positive
relationship with a contact at the district level and in each school is
so important. Teacher recruiting opportunities arise in the K12
schools, and it can work well when circumstances lead to the evening
adult education instructor teaching the parents of their daytime K12 ELL
students. Schools are glad to send fliers home with children that
market the adult education classes, especially when the adult education
staff delivers them collated into neat packages for each classroom.

My experience working in rural areas of central Florida is that teachers
and administrators in the K-12 system become so overwhelmed with
mandates from all sides, any effort to collaborate works better when it
is portrayed as a realistic way to help them achieve their goals with a
minimal investment of time and resources on their part. Especially this
year, with Florida's drastic cutbacks in K12 school funding and the loss
of teachers in every school, our adult education programs will be very
effective in helping K12 schools achieve their goals. We know who the
parents are, and we know how to help them build a home environment that
fosters learning for all. We know adult education is win-win-win-win for
parents, kids, employers and school systems. There are many ways to
design our package to show our partners how they stand to gain in big
ways from using our services.

CONTACT INFORMATION
Philip Anderson
Adult ESOL Program
Florida Department of Education
Tel (850) 245-9450
Philip.anderson at fldoe.org

Please take a few minutes to provide feedback on the quality of service you received from our staff. The Department of Education values your feedback as a customer. Commissioner of Education Dr. Eric J. Smith is committed to continuously assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to you.Simply use the link below. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.

http://data.fldoe.org/cs/default.cfm?staff=Philip.Anderson@fldoe.org|12:58:16%20Tue%2010%20Jun%202008