[Assessment 1342] Re: Tests vs. Self Assessments of Literacy

Jackie Coelho jackie.coelho at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 08:29:42 EDT 2008

There are so many thoughts and related topics in this discussion. I
have just read through them alI. One piece that I think seems to be
missing is the socio-economic influences which cannot be ignored.

I think it was Tom that mentioned subcultures, and the fact that an
adult may feel his/her literacy level is higher than the test because
he/she functions well enough within his/her community. It raises many
questions in my mind. Question that are perhaps out of the scope of
this conversation.

However, I will forge ahead with them. Is the test serving the group
that funds the test or the students? What is our ultimate purpose? Do
we want to create workers with better skills? Or better citizens? Are
these two mutually exclusive? Where is the overlap?

How do we address the issue of stagnant wages, and fewer economic
opportunities which can offset a desire to work harder? What fulfills
a person? Better wages? Ties to the community?

I am not suggesting that education has no value. That is patently
ridiculous. I do sometimes get concerned about the field's seeming
inability to address the socioeconomic struggles of our population.
Struggles that seem to be worsening, and cannot be completely laid at
the feet of a lack of education.

Respectfully,
Jackie Coelho