[Assessment 1354] Re: Pre- / post-testing options for ESOLliteracy-level students

Anderson, Philip Philip.Anderson at fldoe.org
Thu Jul 10 13:33:21 EDT 2008

Ingrid,

Are these ESOL Literacy-level students able to read and write in their
home language? If not, Florida practitioners have developed a placement
tool and a set of instructional standards designed for students who are
beginning to learn to read and write for the first time in any language.
You can find these documents at the Florida Department of Education,
Office of Adult Education website and the Florida Adult ESOL
Practitioners' Task Force website.

The method that Florida programs use to show learning gains for these
low-literacy level students is by using the benchmarks of the Literacy
Skills course. When a student has "satisfactorily" mastered the
benchmarks of the course standards, the program provides documentation
of that "learning gain" to the state. This course is not funded with
federal dollars, so we do not require the program to use a "major
standardized test" to show learning gains. We do recommend that local
programs develop their own assessment procedures for use at their
program. This is to ensure that all students are assessed using the
same procedures. Some programs use textbook tests with portfolio work
to show student learning gains.

I would welcome hearing from other programs with literacy level
students. This area is new ground for us, and we have a larger number
of students each year that are at the literacy level. Any ideas from
others can certainly help.

Native Language Literacy Screening Tool

FL DOE WEBSITE: http://www.fldoe.org/workforce/pdf/vocscr.pdf

TASK FORCE WEBSITE:
http://www.floridaadultesol.org/Downloads/WordDocs/nativeLanguageLiterac
y.doc

Literacy for Adult ESOL Learners course

FL DOE WEBSITE: http://www.fldoe.org/workforce/dwdframe/ad_frame.asp

TASK FORCE WEBSITE: http://www.floridaadultesol.org/studentSyllabi.html

User Guide for Literacy Skills for Adult ESOL Learners course

TASK FORCE WEBSITE: http://www.floridaadultesol.org/userGuides.html

CONTACT INFORMATION

Philip Anderson

Adult ESOL Program

Florida Department of Education

Tel (850) 245-9450

Please take a few minutes to provide feedback on the quality of service you received from our staff. The Department of Education values your feedback as a customer. Commissioner of Education Dr. Eric J. Smith is committed to continuously assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to you.Simply use the link below. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.

http://data.fldoe.org/cs/default.cfm?staff=Philip.Anderson@fldoe.org|13:33:22%20Thu%2010%20Jul%202008