[Assessment 1364] English Proficiency Checklist

Liz Lahmann llahmann at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 21:15:07 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am in the process of creating and implementing an English proficiency checklist for beginning/newcomer students.  I'm putting together information from state standards (MN) and other benchmarks from other sources as well as from my and my colleagues' experience with our students.  I work at a school that is designed to serve immigrant and refugee students, and we have many students who come with limited to no English and/or formal schooling.

The goal is to create an assessment tool that will help us to:
a) track student progress in a more organized way, breaking down individual skills and skill areas,
b) give students a visual, realistic way of looking at their own progress they have made and the skills they need to work on,
c) motivate students to focus on skills they need to work on and give them guidance as they do this,
d) help teachers to plan and focus lessons on the skill areas most needed by our students, and
e) determine whether a student has the skills needed to move to the next level of English class.

A colleague of mine created a technology skills checklist that worked well in determining whether a student had mastered the skills of her computer class and was ready to "pass out" of the class.  I'd like to do the same for English class, but I would like to gather as much information as possible as I do so.   I am particularly interested in the following:

1) Have you used a proficiency checklist?
2) How did you implement it?
3) How many teachers were involved in the assessment of students based on the checklist?
4) How did you manage the logistical/procedural aspects of assessing with a checklist?
5) Do you have any information that might help me as I create the list, the accompanying "mini-assessments," and a system of managing it all?

Thank you so much!

Liz Lahmann
ELL Teacher
Lead Teacher - 101 Level