[Assessment 1366] Re: English Proficiency Checklist

Ann Beck ABeck at LVCCReads.org
Wed Jul 16 14:41:22 EDT 2008

Liz,
We don't use a checklist for student progress, at the moment, but we do use
one in training our volunteer tutors so they can use it with their tutors.
Ours comes from Literacy Volunteers of America's ESLOA test. If you would
like more info, please contact me directly.
Ann Beck
Literacy Volunteers of Coconino County
Flagstaff, AZ
abeck at lvccreads.org

_____

From: assessment-bounces at nifl.gov [mailto:assessment-bounces at nifl.gov] On
Behalf Of Liz Lahmann
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 6:15 PM
To: The Assessment Discussion List
Subject: [Assessment 1364] English Proficiency Checklist

Hello,

I am in the process of creating and implementing an English proficiency
checklist for beginning/newcomer students. I'm putting together information
from state standards (MN) and other benchmarks from other sources as well as
from my and my colleagues' experience with our students. I work at a school
that is designed to serve immigrant and refugee students, and we have many
students who come with limited to no English and/or formal schooling.

The goal is to create an assessment tool that will help us to:
a) track student progress in a more organized way, breaking down individual
skills and skill areas,
b) give students a visual, realistic way of looking at their own progress
they have made and the skills they need to work on,
c) motivate students to focus on skills they need to work on and give them
guidance as they do this,
d) help teachers to plan and focus lessons on the skill areas most needed by
our students, and
e) determine whether a student has the skills needed to move to the next
level of English class.

A colleague of mine created a technology skills checklist that worked well
in determining whether a student had mastered the skills of her computer
class and was ready to "pass out" of the class. I'd like to do the same for
English class, but I would like to gather as much information as possible as
I do so. I am particularly interested in the following:

1) Have you used a proficiency checklist?
2) How did you implement it?
3) How many teachers were involved in the assessment of students based on
the checklist?
4) How did you manage the logistical/procedural aspects of assessing with a
checklist?
5) Do you have any information that might help me as I create the list, the
accompanying "mini-assessments," and a system of managing it all?

Thank you so much!

Liz Lahmann
ELL Teacher
Lead Teacher - 101 Level