[Assessment 1380] Re: Learning and Assessing in Virtual and Real Worlds

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt katherine.gotthardt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 19:53:19 EDT 2008

Question (as my husband sits here enjoying playing WOW):

How would ESOL and low level readers deal with the texting component of
these games? How would they deal with the intricate instructions and
details? The premises and story lines are often complicated and use melded
vocabulary as well as "gamer lingo." Fantasy characters and made-up words
create some confusing communications. I can tell you, as a native speaker
and reader, I cannot manage these games.

How would you implement MMO's in a classroom with any amount of success?
Are you talking about using them just for advanced students?