[Assessment 1397] Re: Seeking your discussion topic ideas

Hughes, Robert rhughes at seattleu.edu
Mon Sep 8 14:30:35 EDT 2008

I'd like to see more discussion of instructional assessments. Much of the focus in recent years has been on program assessments that allow programs to determine learners' placement and progress. Those more broad measures tell us whether a person's skill increases, for example, in reading or computational skills. However, those more broad assessments don't provide assessments of skills components (for example in reading, the measurement of decoding or fluency) that provide a roadmap for instructing students. I find that while teachers and programs are gaining skills with program assessment, there's a significant need to train teachers in the kinds of instructional assessments they need for diagnosing and addressing learning needs.

Bob Hughes, Ed.D.
Associate Professor of Adult Education
Seattle University
901 12th Ave