[Assessment 1410] Compiled list of discussion topics

Marie Cora mariecora at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 09:50:17 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for this input! This is so great! Ok, looks like I'm going
to be a busy bee organizing these discussions for us. I've compiled the
suggestions that have come in so far - but this does not mean I've stopped
collecting ideas, so if you have others, don't hesitate to send them to the
List or to me. They are listed in the order in which they have been posted,
and I have noted where there were multiple votes on topics.

If you have suggestions on resources - both material and person resources -
that you feel would be beneficial for any of the discussions below, will you
please email me this info? I can then follow up on any resources that we
can include in a discussion.

Thanks!!

Marie

*Discussion List Items for Assessment*

Young Adult Literacy - techniques and assessments for pre GED level (2
votes)

Reply: Stephanie Korber (Director of Youth Education Center for Literacy,
Inc., Philly) to share materials and strategies used in her program with
this age group

************************

A discussion of how often math is taught in ESL, what math is taught, and
how math skills are assessed.

************************

Transition of ESL students to GED studies, post-secondary education and/or
job training (8 votes); assessment methods to measure application and
transfer skills

****************************

What data elements would really help programs grow and provide insights into
success

****************************

A discussion on what assessments may be available for
meta-cognitive/critical thinking skills/higher-order skills, or how to
develop assessment tools for these skills. (3 votes)

Suggestion: Stephen Brookfield as a special guest (his website
http://stephenbrookfield.com/papers.html describes ways to assess critical
thinking in the classroom, in a situational rather than a standardized
context)

***********************************

Discussion of instructional assessments as opposed to program assessments,
i.e.: assessments of skills components (for example in reading, the
measurement of decoding or fluency) that provide a roadmap for instructing
students, and instructional assessments needed for diagnosing and addressing
learning needs (2 votes); practical discussion on how to develop/use
formative assessments

Assessment of confidence: how important is it, how do we measure it and how
can we use the findings in a way that policy and funding people will listen
to? (2 votes)

Assessment in online environments - assessing online/computer literacy

How to measure fluency? How do we measure fluency as part of helping people
gain expertise?