[Assessment 1434] Re: Where does the reading problem go?

Wendy Quinones teacherwendyq at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 11:41:55 EDT 2008

What a fascinating question, Tom! In an ice-breaker activity this year, my
GED-level students chose to ask each other that very question: How do you
rate your reading skills? In a mixed class of immigrants and
native-speakers, the answers varied, but not in the way we might think. At
least one of the immigrants rated his reading as "excellent," while most of
the others said "pretty good" or "poor." One of the native-speakers rated
her reading as "excellent" (which I have already come to doubt) while the
others were less sanguine. I haven't had them in class long enough to make
my own judgment, but I'll be paying more attention after this.

Of course, these are people who definitely want to move out of their
"literacy niche," (great term) at least enough to get a GED and a better
job. I'm not sure they think of what they are doing as necessarily
improving their literacy; rather they think they just have to pass the
test. * *I hope they have a different idea by the time they get out of my
class!

Wendy Quinones