[Assessment 1442] New way to teach math

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Wed Oct 22 13:05:37 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

It's been quiet on the List lately! I'm sure everyone is quite busy; I have
been busy working on organizing some of the discussions that subscribers
suggested to me in September. I hope to have an announcement for you all
soon on topics that I've been able to put together for the List.

In the meantime, I came across this information below and thought I would
put it out there for subscribers to read, think about, and respond to.
These studies are focused on grade-school age children; however, I found
some of the discussion very interesting and thought some of it might be
appropriate for working with adults.

So! Do you find that either of these resources could be applicable to adult
literacy education? All of either report? Some of either?

Are you familiar with similar efforts that are focused on adults and if so,
could you please share this information with us here?

If you feel that this is not informative for adult educators in any way, can
you say why?

And finally, do folks have methods or processes they use to diagnose gaps in
math skills/abilities with the adults they work with? If so, can you share
what you do with us here?

A NEW WAY TO TEACH MATH SHOWS MERIT
Two new studies from Teachers College, Columbia University, examined teacher
practices and early outcomes of a dynamic classroom assessment approach
known as Proximal Assessment for Learner Diagnosis (PALD). The reports find
that sixth graders who were taught by PALD scored significantly higher on
standardized math tests than peers who weren't exposed to the method. In
addition, fifth graders who participated in the program outperformed their
peers in geometry. The method requires teachers to break down math problem
solving -- or any academic task they want students to learn -- into a set of
connected skills and concepts. Then the teacher assesses student performance
at each step to understand precisely where students make errors or show lack
of understanding.
http://www.tc.edu/i/media/6565_6563_AERAPALDOutcomesExecutiveSummary.pdf
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001xftdtjhVltvOzslEa0Gciii_icKGCTYGO6IbBTtQcrGXEGA2
3HtgyaYLrT9pAir9jaN10Cqw5JhWqkQ6KJ2ksRFn15kEdFPuRGKLc30qduryyjD8wqMuRAOSCwtE
yKFAqTWglorryNLI9uqcy2tYg5XdztcaWNHQEyN_LOM-nHk2b7icLNXxDg==>
http://www.tc.edu/i/media/6565_AERAPALDMappingCognitivePathways.pdf
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001xftdtjhVltsgNkKzAVyhStIu7u2CKBIgKOXgfeFHrbkmEeh9
k1_mRPHwHBRxgKMXoYxJSAYzFOCiO7Osa-FNpih5ShoydoGvQDKghQFwzCNBoHzNbwhuDuEbNioZ
6fe7Gqezl5KyP1LDrb46CX_gMNksyHM0BvDW1NdH1hGx7Q2-j4vuAihgpg==>

Email me at: marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com