[Assessment 1447] Assessment of Reading

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Fri Oct 31 11:00:16 EDT 2008

Good morning, afternoon, and evening to you all.

I was reading this exchange on the AAACE-NLA Discussion List and thought it
might be of interest to some of you. I posted it in the order of the
conversation so you do not need to read from the bottom up.

If you view the Reading Demonstration on YouTube, I would be very interested
in hearing what your thoughts are on the video.

Marie Cora

Assessment Discussion List Moderator

Good day all,

A group of practitioners in the greater Hartford area are looking for

screening instrument that social service and health organizations can

use that will help them identify clients with limited reading and/or

English speaking abilities. While certain things may be quite

obvious,

other "hidden" factors may not be so.

The desire for this information is twofold:

a) To help agency staff to better recognize limitations of reading,

writing, or speaking and understanding in clients to better

accommodate

their needs and requests

b) To recommend adult education programs that their clients may be

interested in participating

If someone knows of a specific instrument, please share it here or to

me

at george.demetrion at lvgh.org

Whether or not there is such an instrument perhaps folks would be

willing to lay out criteria they might use or recommend.

My goal is to collect as much information as I can on this by Friday.

Regards,

George Demetrion

Get a copy of the text, Starting Over: A Literacy Program. In the front

it has an assessment that can reveal a reading deficiency.

Derek Albert

WITCC Adult Literacy Coordinator

American Indian Club Advisor

712-274-8733 or 1-800-352-4649

ext. 1803

albertd at witcc.edu

*************

Greetings fellow travelers

George, to get a more holistic sense of what adults can do with literacy
(and where they might have difficulties), try a variation of the Reading
Demonstration. We asked adult learners to identify the products and print
pieces that they recognize and read them with us - this gives us a sense of
how they negotiate everyday print, what their strengths are and where their
interests lie. (The approach was adapted for the 2003 NAAL)

We put the Reading Demonstration up on YouTube in 3 parts
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=literacywork
<http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=literacywork&search_type=&aq=f>
&search_type=&aq=f where you can watch Bessima show me how much English she
knows or rather how much she is able to do with very little English. If the
link does not work, simply go to YouTube.com and type in Literacywork and
the videos should pop right up.

If you are working in an educational institution that blocks YouTube, you
can see the session in its entirety (20 minutes) by going to
http://www.literacywork.com/readingdemonstration

(there's also a short explanation there).

If that doesn't work for you, or if you have questions, please let me know

Best

Heide

Heide Spruck Wrigley

Literacywork International