[Assessment 1448] Re: TABE CLAS-E

Anderson, Philip Philip.Anderson at fldoe.org
Fri Oct 31 13:03:34 EDT 2008

Kimberlee,

I'm glad to see your posting, since we at the state adult education
office in Florida are asking similar questions. Florida has an ad hoc
committee on assessment that is working on a set of recommendations to
the state office on the adoption of TABE CLAS-E.

Local programs may purchase and use the test if they choose to do so for
informational purposes, such as to guide instruction, and for purposes
that are not related to documentation for state and federal adult
education grants. But until the FL Department of Education State Board
approves TABE CLAS-E to be used for reporting any placement or
progression based on test results to the state or the federal National
Reporting System (NRS).

At our statewide conference in September, we had a session on how to
select tests for adult education programs that was well attended. I
developed an in-house guide and checklist on test selection, which we
provided to the participants. I would be glad to send it offline to any
one that requests it.

CTB McGraw Hill also provided us a planning/test selection tool they
developed. You may wish to request a copy of it from Dan Gall,
Dan_Gall at ctb.com, or Stephanie Seemann, Stephanie_Seemann at ctb.com. They
have been very responsive to our queries.

The primary issue we are grappling with as a committee is whether to
recommend that the state assessment policy mandate that programs must
assess adult ESOL students in more than one skill area, and to report on
the lowest score of the skill areas tested.

You can see our current state assessment technical assistance paper
online at the adult education webpage
<http://www.fldoe.org/workforce/adult_ed.asp> of the Florida Department
of Education, http://www.fldoe.org/workforce/adult_ed.asp.

Phil

CONTACT INFORMATION

Philip Anderson

Adult ESOL Program

Florida Department of Education

Tel (850) 245-9450

philip.anderson at fldoe.org

Please take a few minutes to provide feedback on the quality of service you received from our staff. The Department of Education values your feedback as a customer. Commissioner of Education Dr. Eric J. Smith is committed to continuously assessing and improving the level and quality of services provided to you.Simply use the link below. Thank you in advance for completing the survey.

http://data.fldoe.org/cs/default.cfm?staff=Philip.Anderson@fldoe.org|13:03:35%20Fri%2031%20Oct%202008