[Assessment 1449] Re: TABE CLAS-E

Burger, Karen kburger at cville.k12.in.us
Sat Nov 1 03:26:16 EDT 2008

Phil,
Although I have not yet looked into the TABE CLAS-E, I find it interesting that your state is looking at ESOL testing with regard to how to level learners and which skill areas must be assessed. Our state policy allows for some flexibility in this for the following reasons. First, if it is a workplace project, and the employer is requesting instruction in a specific skill area, then that is the area assessed and used for leveling the learner. Also, some of our programs are very small, have limit resources, staff, space and materials. This can make it difficult to assess learners in all areas. Particularly in listening because of the type of testing environment that it requires. Further, there are times that a learner may have the goal to improve skills in a certain area. Again, the goal would be set and the learner would only need to be assessed in that area. I hate to see too much restriction that gets in the way of providing classes that suit our learners needs. Sometimes it would seem that we test our people to death, don't you think?

We are thankful that our state leaders have chosen to provide us with good structure and flexibility in the assessment policy. Otherwise, there are some programs that would find it difficult to comply with and would not be able to report, or could not afford to serve some of our ESL poplulation. Good luck!

Karen Burger
Professional Development Consultant
Adult Education Professional Development Project
John Beard Learning Center
1601 East College Street
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
(765) 362-8158