[Assessment 1454] Re: TABE CLAS-E

Forrest Chisman forrest at crosslink.net
Mon Nov 3 13:35:02 EST 2008

Dear all,

Bureaucratic considerations aside, if a state is concerned with the welfare
of both students and its economy why would it NOT want to place equal value
on all 4 ESL skills? "Levels" are inherently arbitrary. It distresses me
that standardized tests (and the NRS) may be debasing both curricula and
learning. For operational and accountability purposes, why not test each of
the 4 skills and report rates of progress in them separately? If you must
have promotion by levels, why not set the promotional scores for each level
at a point students in your mainstream programs can be expected to achieve
after a certain number of instructional hours? This would require some
restructuring at the curricular and program levels, but that is overdue in
any event. Thus, if students are strong on reading and weak on listening,
programs would devote more time to listening than reading. Alternatively,
some programs have developed supplementary short courses at each level for
students who are behind in each skill.

Forrest Chisman

CAAL