[Assessment 1455] Re: TABE CLAS-E

Howard Dooley hdooley at riral.org
Mon Nov 3 15:44:59 EST 2008

Well said, Forrest.

Howard D.
RI

________________________________

From: assessment-bounces at nifl.gov [mailto:assessment-bounces at nifl.gov]
On Behalf Of Forrest Chisman
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 1:35 PM
To: 'The Assessment Discussion List'
Subject: [Assessment 1454] Re: TABE CLAS-E

Dear all,

Bureaucratic considerations aside, if a state is concerned with the
welfare of both students and its economy why would it NOT want to place
equal value on all 4 ESL skills? "Levels" are inherently arbitrary. It
distresses me that standardized tests (and the NRS) may be debasing both
curricula and learning. For operational and accountability purposes, why
not test each of the 4 skills and report rates of progress in them
separately? If you must have promotion by levels, why not set the
promotional scores for each level at a point students in your mainstream
programs can be expected to achieve after a certain number of
instructional hours? This would require some restructuring at the
curricular and program levels, but that is overdue in any event. Thus,
if students are strong on reading and weak on listening, programs would
devote more time to listening than reading. Alternatively, some programs
have developed supplementary short courses at each level for students
who are behind in each skill.

Forrest Chisman

CAAL