[Assessment 1456] Re: TABE CLAS-E

Burger, Karen kburger at cville.k12.in.us
Tue Nov 4 11:14:55 EST 2008

Hello everyone,

Forrest, you make a good point, but let's not mistake assessment for good instructional practices. Any ESL teacher would or should agree that you don't isolate skills day after day in the classroom. Although we assess in one or two areas for reporting purposes, we teach all four components of language, and a fifth - cultural literacy. My concern is that a mandate to assess all areas with a standardized test will frustrate learners and hurt our programs. A learner can only be nationally reported for one level gain in one area per program year anyway, so let's not over do it with the testing during the intake process, but rather, use other assessment tools during the instructional process to determine what our students' strengths and weaknesses are.

I fully agree that we are doing our learners a disservice if we only teach to one skill area and then send them on their way. Language is communication and requires all components, reading, writing, listening and speaking, to be effective. Merely administering another test has never resulted in more learning taking place. And tests don't always give the full picture. They are just one measure of what the learner has achieved. Teachers, good teachers are the experts when it comes to really understanding what their learners know. They need to be able to continually assess their learners and customized their instruction to meet individual and classroom needs. I hope we don't get so focused on standardized testing that we forget that.

Karen Burger
Professional Development Consultant
Adult Education Professional Development Project
John Beard Learning Center
1601 East College St.
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
(765) 362-8158