[Assessment 1465] Re: New way to teach math

Martha Nega mnega1 at student.gsu.edu
Mon Nov 17 11:19:12 EST 2008

Thanks for sharing the research articles. As an math teacher to adults I find it very useful.
Although, it is not directly applicable, the issues are similar to problems we have in developmental level math classes. for example, I also teach Long Division in my classrooms.
After several years of not attending formal education, adults students are placed in specific courses after taking an assessment when they are still proficient in one area and significantly lacking in another. This allows for the average of the assessment to be high enough to be placed into a specific course. as a result, students struggle in class to catch up on ideas that are based on the things they did not understand coming into the classroom. The idea of Proximal Assessment for Learner Diagnosis (PALD) may be implemented for specific domains of math skills to gear the instruction to the needs of the student. This allows the instructor to identify the deficiencies and address them.

Martha