[Assessment 1475] Re: Using Data: Getting Staff Buy-In

Jackie Coelho jackie.coelho at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:46:55 EST 2008

At the risk of sounding snarky....which I sincerely do NOT intend, I
think that most ABE teachers are underpaid and would see using data as
worthwhile if they were not already doing so much for so little. If
data will lead to a better program, will it also lead to a better
salary?

Also, I think it is only fair to point out that data cannot
necessarily inform all decisions. The target population is a moving
target, groups come and go and what holds true for one group may not
apply to another.

After all that, perhaps having instructors use their own data, from
experiments they themselves have developed and conducted, may help get
buy-in. What do they need? What do they want to know? How can they
find out? What can they do with the information. If people are not
used to dealing with data, then perhaps they need to see the power of
the data first. Then they may feel more comfortable looking at data
from an outside source.

Just some thoughts from a practioner.