[Assessment 1488] Re: Using Data: Getting Staff Buy-In

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Mon Dec 8 18:22:39 EST 2008

Hi Jackie, thanks for this. You do not sound snarky at all - in fact, this
is often what practitioners say - that they already have their hands way too
full with not enough compensation, so why should they take on more.

I would like to note though, that data is information, and so it can come
from any source, at any time, in any form. This does not necessarily mean
that it is dependable or useful - that is for the person analyzing the data
to determine. But for example, observing your students and taking notes on
what you see is data. And so one of the goals of this initiative is to
demonstrate this very concept to practitioners (and program directors) -
that they have access to rich data constantly. But this data is not easily
used unless you have a good way to capture and store it, effective ways to
analyze it for what it means to you, and then a plan for using that data to
improve some piece of your teaching (or programming).

Data from outside sources - say the NALS, or even test scores - is only one
small piece of data that we can use.

Does this make sense?