[Assessment 1502] Re: Using Data

Drucilla Weirauch dcw113 at psu.edu
Wed Dec 10 14:45:00 EST 2008

David,
Thanks for the positive feedback. The Seneca
Highlands project was one of our most successful
and most "researchy," with implications for the
field at large. We encouraged Pennsylvania family
literacy programs to look at the 2007-2008
projects and replicate or adapt a chosen one for
2008-2009 with the intent of building a
foundation of knowledge -- at the LOCAL level. A
WERC program this year is doing a math project,
also using cooperative learning. Unlike the
algebra studentsat Seneca Highlands, these
students have low level math skills (just
learning to tell time, count by fives, etc.).
Yet, due to the interventions, the students are
having high levels of success in terms of math
skills and self-efficacy. As the research shows,
as confidence improves, so do competencies. The
students are PROUD to be part of the research
study --- something that action research
encourages and that experimental studies do not.

I rather like the idea of a national support for such efforts!!
Drucie